Monday, June 9, 2008

the clean machine

I know it's not visible from where you are sitting, but this staircase is now sparkling!  This was not on my list of things to do today, but it was an example of what neglectful housekeeping can do to a person.  Now, I don't consider myself to be a pig, and my main mode of cleaning is just to keep things put away, but when I decided to wash down these steps this morning I had no idea that 2 hours later I would finish the job!  It was a case of the more you clean the worse it gets.  It started out quite innocently, just a little water and rag to clean up what looked dusty because I don't sweep the steps often (nearly never).  As I dumped out the bucket of blackened water after I got to the landing, I thought to myself "Self, maybe you should think about wiping down the railings while you are at it."  I should never listen to myself!  Lo and behold, I encountered much dirt and grime that previously had seemed like lovely aging of the wood.  But actually it was nasty dirty stuff that has been ignored for a long time (years).  I think deep in my subconscious I always knew it was there, as I use these stairs several times a day, and logic would say that some trace of dirt would accumulate eventually.  I think there is still a bit of a trace of dirt left on there, but just like an archeological dig, it has to be taken in stages.  I have 409'd the worst of it, and since my arm feels like it needs a sling, I will be fine with waiting to do stage 2!  This is, after all, a day off jobs.  At least the jobs I have to drive to!  I will now go directly to my sewing room/studio/suite and continue with the new patterns I am designing to feature the 2008 Quilt MN fabrics coming soon to a store near you (if you reside in MN).  It is absolutely wonderful outside today, this is the kind of day we live through winter for!  So I will also be spending time on the patio at some point.  Probably need to test how well this new laptop works in the fresh air!  With a frosty beverage in hand!  Always keeping it away from the computer, of course.  I learned my lesson last winter on the dangers of beer-soaked keyboards! Cheers!

No comments: