Friday, April 16, 2010

Spring has sprung

I know that in many places in this fine land you presently have leafy trees, mowed lawns and colorful flowerbeds. Not so much here in the tundra. But there is progress aplenty here, once again assuring that the cycle of seasons never ends. Yesterday morning I awoke to rain and dreariness, which was not a good omen for Bob's golf league kick-off. But by midday, when I emerged from my quilting in the basement, the sun was blazing and I could open windows, stroll around the house, poke in the dead stuff, and snap these pictures for you. A blossoming tree in the front yard--
Raindrops still puddled on the tiny bleeding hearts---
emerging hostas that are amazingly purple--
Sunny and windy for golf for Bob, and perfect conditions for me to join him on the 19th hole!
Last weekend at my quilt retreat, I shared my homemade granola with the people who wanted something other than the usual camp breakfast. Had some requests for the recipe, and I thought I had posted it here before but couldn't find it, so here it is.
These are my ingredients:
1/2 cup honey, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1/3 cup veg. oil, 2 Tbsp. water, 1 tsp. apple pie spice, 1/2 tsp. cardamom. Mix these together in a microwaveable bowl or pan, cook in microwave a couple minutes to heat and mix everything but watch out that it doesn't boil over. In a big bowl mix these: 4 cups regular old-fashioned oatmeal (not quick-cooking), 1 cup toasted soybeans, 1/4 cup flaxseeds, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Pour the hot liquid mixture over all these dry ingredients and stir it up. Spread this out on a sheet cake pan/cookie sheet/jelly roll pan, mine is about 12" x 17" with 1" sides that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 275 degrees for 30 minutes. Stir it up and add 1 cup craisins, bake 15 minutes more.
This combination can be varied according to your likes and what you have on hand. The apple pie spice is something I purchase at Weaver's Country Store in Fall Creek, WI, an Amish general store. It is a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and allspice, but I don't know proportions. I change the nuts and fruit each time, sometimes pecans, walnuts, peanuts, cashews, almonds, cherries, mixed berries, blueberries or any combination of the above. This makes a hearty, crunchy cereal, my serving size is 1/3 cup with a carton of silk yogurt or a little soymilk, and it fills me up!

5 comments:

Daniel said...

That homemade granola sounds yummy! You should send a sample westward.

Pam said...

I'm sure that could be arranged, I will be making up a batch in a day or 2. Too bad I never made it when you actually lived here!

Brita said...

I love the spring pictures from the house, Mom, especially the one with the water drops! I love MN in the springtime...so wonderful. Your granola sounds great, and I love dried cranberries and blueberries in mine. I'll have to make a batch. Love you!

Ashley said...

I just had some of your 'Good Granola' and it is wonderful! Dan decided to share a little and it was delicious!

Pam said...

Ashley, I'm glad Dan was in the sharing mood! Would love to meet my fellow granola girl when I get to Mammoth again.