Tuesday, February 16, 2010

a cuppa tea

Something that has become a favorite treat for me is a good cup of chai tea. There are a lot of variations on this theme of chai tea and I have tried several. I can't consume just any chai concoction due to my inability to digest milk products without a minor explosion, so I have to be a bit selective. The Oregon Chai brand of concentrate is really good when mixed with vanilla soy milk, so that is one of my favorites. And their peppermint flavor is excellent! But hard to find in a store, so I might have to break down and order online. Anyway, when I get to have a little quilting getaway along with Leisl, she always brings along a barrel of her favorite powdered chai mix and I'm kinda jealous of her ability to just boil up some water and stir in the powder to produce a yummy beverage. She has her favorite brand and like most mixes that you might see in the grocery store, it is based on regular milk powder. So on these recent cold wintery days, I decided to create my own non-dairy chai mix and I think I have found a good combination so I am going to share it with you while I savor my own steaming mug.
Chai Tea Mix for Lactose Intolerants (you know who you are)
2 cups powdered non-dairy creamer, can be purchased in a large container at your grocery store
2 1/2 cups sugar, or less depending on your preference but sweetness is a big part of the Indian chai formula. Might try a sugar substitute next time.
1 1/2 cups powdered unsweetened instant tea
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
All of these spices are ground. Mix all the ingredients together, if you have a food processor whirl them around in there for a bit to make a nice fine powder, which gets all over the counter. Mix 2 heaping tablespoons with each cup of boiling water and stir. Sip and enjoy!

No comments: