Thursday, January 4, 2018

retreat prep

I'm going with friends on a quilting retreat on Sunday, and I've been planning what to take along to work on during the 4 days I'm there.  Some new things, some old things.  It does take some planning so I have the correct fabric, specialty rulers, threads in the right colors, zippers, interfacing, hardware for bags, etc., etc.  It's not a chore to me, I like it as long as I have the time for it.

So this was going to be a post about what I'm taking along and how I get it ready.  The first project is something I started working on last spring at another retreat.  I sewn all the blocks, they were made with a package of hexagon pre-cuts from Moda in solids.  I had even sewn the first 2 vertical rows together.  And last weekend, when I was starting to sort my retreat projects, this was on top of the pile.  So, instead of putting it in the "to go" pile, I snuck in a few minutes of sewing time here and there.  And voila, it's all sewn up!  I've really been missing the opportunities to get some dedicated sewing time.  I've been involved with more things at Bear Patch, which means less time at home.  And then, there have been some travels, too, which always puts some things on hold at home.  But it looks like the new year is starting out right! 



I think this pattern might be available on Moda's Bakeshop webpage.
It was an insert with the pack of hexagons I used.
Now, on to the retreat packing!  I do a lot of preparation at home whenever I can, so the cutting is out of the way for the most part.  I use a couple of ways to store these things.  I have some of the large flat project boxes with the hinged lid, about 12" or so.  Those are good for some things, depending on circumstances like size.  Otherwise, I rely on my good ole' ziplocks.

This is a Miss Rosie pattern called Village.  It's all colors of houses, and I've been thinking about making this for awhile.  I've managed to construct a half dozen houses so far, and did the cutting for another 12.  They are all pinned into little bundles so my sorting of colors and sizes of everything stays together.  



This is an ongoing quilt that I am about half done with.  It's my own pattern, Scrap Hap, and I originally made it from batik fabrics.  Then, when I taught a class for it at Bear Patch, I sewed up some sample blocks for demonstration purposes.  I just used some various fabrics from my stash.  After completing the class, I decided to hang onto the sample blocks and keep adding to them.  So this often goes along on sewing trips.  It's about half done.  I use the grid on paper to lay out the fabric placement, and because each block has a different color of logs on all 4 sides, which have to be matched up to the same colors in the adjacent blocks.  The strips are 3/4 inch wide after sewing.


My sorting for the colors for the next row.


I've wanted to try out this book to make letters, so I have the idea to just start with I, J and L for my grandsons.  If it's a success, I could add on the other letters of their names, which are wonderfully short!  It requires 2 specialty rulers, which I hope have arrived at Bear Patch by now.  They're called the Hex 'n More and the Super Sidekick.


Here's another project that travels with me to retreats, and it's just something I designed on EQ7.  It's all half square triangles.  I'm using all solids, and you can see below that I like to use triangle papers.  When I want quite a few matching blocks, this is the way to go.  I have some baggies of triangles all ready to be sewn into bigger blocks, too.




This little project is something I'm making for a Bear Patch retreat.  It's a pattern that I used a long time ago, but unearthed once again to offer as a make-and-take project for retreaters.  I have the pieces cut and interfacing in place, now I just have to do the ribbon embellishment and sew the whole works together.


Here's another little bag for the store display.  It's a Quiltsmart pattern, and is printed on fusible interfacing that is sewn into the bag.  It's just a little bigger than a cell phone, and you can put a cross-body or wristlet strap on it.  I've used other Quiltsmart patterns so I know the process used.



And this quilt is all cut out and ready to sew up.  I have construction themed fabrics so this will be something for little Leo to crawl around with.  The 60 degree triangle ruler made the cutting so easy!


And I still have a few Bridget's Bagettes prepped from a couple years ago when I couldn't stop making these!  I have the fabric all cut and fused to interfacing, clear vinyl cut and ready, zippers and threads color-coordinated.

Another little sorta' bag that I'm testing out, a pattern called Hang On from Lazy Girl.  Fabric and interfacing and threads all picked out and packaged to go.



Lastly, at least for today, is the pieces to make another Sew Together bag.  This will be my third, so it should be quick!  In the second picture below you can see one that I've finished.  It has 3 zipper compartments inside.  Interfacing, zippers, threads, lining, etc., all ready to go.  The fabric on the left is going to be the outside of the bag.  My mom got it on one of their trips in a Central American country, and I would like this bag to go to her when I finish.




There might still be more additions to this list, especially since I have next Saturday at home before leaving on Sunday for the retreat.  I might complete something else before I even leave, and pull in one of the 2 patterns for totebags that I want to make!

No comments: