Tuesday, October 2, 2012

a little fall

A couple of weeks ago I was spending some time with Brita and Ian, actually, it was about a month ago because it was soon after she broke her arm and I wanted to try to help her manage some things since I had 2 good arms plus her 1.  Holding a 19 pound wiggler with one arm is challenging, even if you have nothing else to do!  We made a little trip to Michael's to see if we could come up with something for a new wreath on her front door, and this is what we did---


 Not bad for starters!  A few garland rope-y things, flower pick things, glue gun, and voila!  It does announce that the fall season is upon us.  This morning the temps are in the 30's!

Also on that trip to Michael's we bought the makings for a funny bachelorette party wedding veil, I will have to see if I can get a picture to share with you because it turned out to be quite the attention-getter around the pools in Las Vegas!

Also part of that fall-like decor, I sewed this tabletopper using Halloween fabrics and a pattern from Runnermania by Gathering Friends.  It is going to be displayed at the store along with a group of other tabletop decor.

I have had some feedback about the change in the look of my blog page, and will probably be making another change, soon.  A couple people have said that they are missing the things that were on the right-hand side of the page, like the index, bloglist, recipes, etc.  Those things are still there, just layered beneath some little tabs that pop out when you move the cursor over that side of the page.  Another person mentioned that they don't see the comments, but I think those are still there at the bottom of each post when you open the full page for that post.  Just click on any of the pictures to get the full page.  Only the first paragraph of text shows up on the front page.  I do really like the clean look of the page, but also miss some of the other things (like the spinning quilts).

In my last post, I told you a little bit about the black and white and red quilt that I was working on.  Well, that quilt has been finished and a good lesson was learned.  I ran into a problem that nearly caused me to have a stroke, but turned out OK in the end.  I had the chance to use a product that was sitting on my shelf unopened, just waiting for the right moment--

                                                
I needed to apply a little spray of water to the quilt backing in a small area to shrink it a bit and eliminate wrinkles.  Which worked, but when I went back to the front of the quilt, there was pink bleeding through on the white.  HELP!!!  After picking myself up off the floor, I went to work to find a solution.  That's when the Carbona product saved the day!  It is intended to be added to the wash, but I mixed the powder with some water in a cup, then dabbed it onto a sample, and the color bleed vanished!  Hallelujah!  So the problem spots were treated, and looked like new, and I was able to clue in the quiltmaker about a potentially big problem if that quilt is ever washed.  How lucky was I to have purchased that product?  Must be fate.

"I have not failed.  I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."  Thomas Edison

No comments: