Tuesday, October 14, 2008

trip report

A trip to Iowa's capitol city, Des Moines, was a treat for me and Debbie last week.  We went for the American Quilting Society's Quilt Expo held there over 4 or 5 days.  We attended 2 days and found some very good ideas, beautiful quilts displayed, talented people, new patterns, and good food!  Even had a chance to reconnect with my cousins, Ronna and Debbie, over dinner at Centro which was an excellent eatery downtown.  We kind of lucked out with our hotel accommodations since we decided to go a bit late and I had to basically take what was available.  We stayed at the Quality Inn, comfortable and a very short walk to the Event Center for the show.   For a first time event, this show was worth the trip.  And Debbie got to be a cover girl!  

Being in downtown Des Moines brought back some distant memories of ~1970 when our school would shuttle a busload of us wonderfully well-behaved students down there for HS basketball tournaments, we even stayed at a hotel, I can't imagine who drew the short stick to chaperone!
A highlight of the show for me was talking to the people at the A-1 booth about my longarm machine, got a few questions answered and tips from the pros.  I hope to be able to attend again next year and maybe get in on a few more classes, I only registered for 1 this time but there were many more that were interesting to me.  Click on the link in the first paragraph to find the dates for 2009 and start planning your road trip!

No comments: