Saturday, January 23, 2010

Allelujah!

Nothing really quilt-related here, because I am talking about eye drops today, and in the end it is quilt-related because my eyes are all the better to see quilts with! I have had a frustrating problem of itchy, burning eyes for quite awhile, and never really getting a good solution. Seemed to be an allergy thing, although for the longest time I refused to believe that since I had no other allergy-type symptoms and it was pretty constant, not seasonal. My eye doc checked for dry eye, since that's what the commercials told me must be the problem. Remember the days before every drug had a commercial to tell us to use it? The best thing I tried was patanol drops, which was a prescription med with its own set of problems. They were expensive, even under my insurance plan. They were a problem to dispense because the teeny tiny bottle contained only enough for 1 drop per eye per day, and I don't know about you, but not every drop gets to my eyeball! And then my insurance changed their formulary so they were no longer covered and even more expensive, liquid gold. So I decided to go back to trying some over-the-counter remedies (which I now have a good assortment of sitting on the shelf never to be used again). And then I learned that Claritin and Zyrtec have put out some eyedrops that are also OTC, so I gave that a try, and lo and behold, I think I've got it!
This is the Target generic brand of ketotifen fumarate, which is even more budget-friendly than the brand names and contains the same ingredient. And my eyes feel great! Maybe now my eye rubbing can cease and I can even grow back some of my eyelashes! That insuppressible urge to rub my eyes resulted in the loss of many little lashes and the need to forego wearing any mascara, partly because it would smear but also because I didn't want to add another irritant to the picture. So here's to good health, and I think I'll go count my eyelashes!

2 comments:

MissesStitches said...

So sorry to hear you've had this problem, Pam. Glad you've found something to help.

Pam said...

It's really such a little thing in the big picture, but so nice to get some relief!