Thursday, January 26, 2012

hexie

I do admit to having a fascination with these little shapes.  Not sure what the appeal is, but I can be looking at a whole wall of quilt blocks, and my eye will go straight to a hexagon first!

Many little hexies all in a row--
don't worry about all the little corners poking out.
They will be on the back side.


I have been working on the early stages of a project that I plan to pull together as a class for Bear Patch, probably starting in the fall.  It will be set up as a series of classes and is based on a design I saw at last fall's Quilt Market in Houston.  It comes all the way from Australia, and is destined to be fun!  I will teach the English paper piecing method to create many assorted blocks.  I am working on samples in 2 very different themes.

Civil war reproduction fabrics
My favorite brights
 These blocks are 2 1/2" size, that is the measurement of each straight size.  The layout and combinations of blocks are up for grabs, so I am thinking of using the more traditional type of setting with the civil war prints, using a neutral colored triangle between the blocks.  


For the more contemporary-looking brights, I am experimenting with a setting that will create a ring of white around each block.  I have a way to go to make enough different blocks to work into a reasonable size.  It won't be a king size quilt, this I know for sure!

No comments: