Saturday, July 13, 2013

a very special memory

When my Brita was just a little bit of a thing, she loved books and learning letters and learning to read and write.  She liked to write little "stories" about things that happened.  For a Christmas letter to her grandpa and Grandma Hansen, she wrote them a little "poum".  I think she was 5.  She wrote phonetically and we didn't worry about pushing her to learn correct spelling, feeling that it was just more fun for her to write her own way.  Grandpa and Grandma Hansen are both gone now, and an auction is coming up.  Yesterday we were able to gather together a few special mementos from their house, and this was an important thing for us to bring home.


A translation might be helpful:

A Poem About Christmas
Dear Grandpa and Grandma
The Christmas tree shimmered in the living room as people came walking in the house to celebrate Christmas.  People were singing beautiful songs about Jesus.  People were passing out candles and then they sang "I am lighting my candle because I want Christ to be the Light of my Life".

That last part refers to a Christmas tradition for our extended Hansen family.  We all sit down together and take turns reading the story of the nativity, singing carols, and finishing with a candle lighting.  We pass the light from person to person around the circle, and we recite the verse Brita wrote at the end of her "poum".

Grandma Hansen framed this and always had it hanging in her kitchen at Christmas.  I am going to get a copy for myself to hang here, and I'm sure Brita's will hang in her own home.  I'm so glad it has been saved for us!

4 comments:

MissesStitches said...

I love it. Nothing else needs to be said.

Unknown said...

That is so wonderful they saved it. What a lovely tradition in your family. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

That is so wonderful they saved it. What a lovely tradition in your family. Thanks for sharing.

Brita said...

Thankfully, my spelling has improved since then! So glad to have this keepsake.