I have some bonus sewing time for the next few days since I am attending a retreat for the employees of Bear Patch Quilting Co. Some things I am working on...
I started this in January when I was on another quilting trip. I had all the blocks sewn together and worked on positioning them in the right spots. Then I had to pick them up and pack them up. Yesterday they came out of the box again, and this time I was able to sew all the blocks together and add the borders. This turned out to be much more tedious than I had expected, because I had to do lots of pinning to match up seams and corners. I had hoped they would match up a little easier. But the hard part is done!
This was an interesting project because it uses images on a CD that are printed onto sheets of paper backed fabric. They can be printed off your own printer at home. The sheets that I prefer are called Printed Treasures. The band at the top, the little label in the side seam, and the label sewn to the front of the bag are all part of the set. The CD also includes the directions for all of it. There are a few different themes available. There's another for knitting and one for baby/kids, too.
These blocks were given to me 2 years ago when I turned 60. The friends in my quilt group, the Ham Lake Piecemakers, were invited to make me a small block. Then I added some triangles to make each block a "square in a square". I used my EQ program to design a small wall hanging size quilt using some additional fabrics for rows of sashing and borders. I would love to get this completed, it's ready for borders now, and since it's not terribly big, I should be getting it done soon. The borders I have pinned up to the upper left hand corner of the quilt are what I am planning. It's nice to see the names as I put the blocks together. These women have been friends for quite awhile, and joining that group was one of the best things I've done to increase my involvement in the quilting world.