Friday, May 2, 2008

Broken promise

So, I swore to myself that I would have to give up knitting except for socks which just wouldn't work, I mean, what is life without hand-knit socks? But when visiting Borealis Yarns I was drawn into a very nice lacey scarf that seemed like it needed my attention, so when I found out it only needed one skein of yarn, the pattern was free, and I already had the right needles, it was a done deal. And now I can rationalize the fact that I broke my promise by the fact that it is made of sock yarn! How good is that!

I have loaded up a new quilt to work on, it is the Lucky Stars pattern by Atkinson Designs, made of very pretty pastel batiks and the workmanship is very good so it is a keeper, too bad it doesn't belong to me! I have been tossing around ideas of what designs I want to do, that takes me a bit. I have been watching some instructional videos on-line by Sharon Schamber, she does some amazing quilting that is pictured on her site. She is very big into feather designs, and I have been practicing with pen and paper and my sketches are starting to look somewhat graceful and lovely, no longer ugly mutants! Practice makes perfect!

Had such a good morning with Brita today, we worked on the yard at her house trying to clean up the rubble left after a sewer excavation. Picture this pile of dirt without the snow and grass now trying to grow and rain. It's kind of a mess. (Ever wonder why the sewer draining out of a house is spelled the same as what you would call me at my sewing machine?) Anyway, it's going to take some more work to deal with some collapsed cement, so we couldn't finish the job today. Plus then the rains came. They say Sunday is going to be a good day, so we will tackle it then. The plumber came to give the sewer line an exam, and we got a good report, no more nasty growths or obstructions!

No comments: