In 1975, when we were given this quilt for a wedding gift, it was accompanied by another work of art created by my sister, Jan and brother, Jared. It was a cross stitch sampler that matched the quilt, framed in a custom wood frame. Jan did the stitching and Jarry did the nailing. We hung it on the wall in our home for a long time, but it had not seen the light of day for awhile. I pulled it out of a storage box and found it very well aged, and not nearly as lovely as it was meant to be. So I decided to rejuvenate it. Here you can see the before and after--
The difference in color is not due to lighting! The linen fabric had yellowed dramatically, and was spotted and dreary looking. The frame was just fine after a little dusting and polishing. But the needlework needed some TLC. I used Vintage Textile Soak, a product made just for this problem.
After a nice long soak, this is the water that I poured out of the pan--yuck!
Now, after pressing and remounting, this sampler is making a reappearance in our home! Thank you Jan and Jarry!