Tuesday, June 7, 2011

plants and poison

I've been out poking around the yard this morning, before it gets above 90. It gave me the chance to take some garden pictures:
a row of little green beans from the rabbit cam

perky little onions, the ladder in the background has to stay there to get up to the squirrel hole to get it repaired

a cluster of basil hoping to become pesto when it grows up

Also on my mind is poison ivy, and The Selvage Quilter understands what I am talking about! Before we bought this property and built our house, I had no experience with poison ivy. That quickly changed as we worked on removing brush and plants to make a little oasis in the wooded area. I had more than one break out, and now I know that I don't mess around if a rash starts, because I inevitably end up getting a cortisone prescription to get over it.
I'm no horticulturist, but I'm pretty sure this greenery by my driveway is the real deal. The proof would be taking a roll in it, but that's not happening! Every year, we spray with Roundup. Every year, it comes back. Probably slows the spread, but never completely gone. In the fall I see the lovely red leaves and white berries. Why is it that birds eat the seeds and don't need steriods? Why aren't the bunnies scratching themselves to death? And why hasn't niece Ali perfected the poison ivy detector spray that she had hoped to develop? She worked as a gardener/landscaper and had the wonderful idea to find a way to identify poison plants by spraying a liquid that would turn color on the offenders. I would love to be her beta site!

A couple more spots along the driveway, don't worry, I was standing as far away as possible!
If you want to learn more about the wonders of this plant, here is a helpful website. While you are doing that, I am mixing the Roundup!

1 comment:

MissesStitches said...

Doesn't sound pleasant. Something I have yet to experience (or not!). Sorry to hear you have so much of it.