Thursday, June 9, 2011

tick town

Now that I have shown you Poison Ivy Place by my driveway, I will share with you a little more about the landscape here. We also have an area I call Tick Town, it's full of small shrubs and long grasses. There has been a bumper crop of ticks this year, and Bob has had his share. One night at about 3 AM, he got out of bed, went into the bathroom, flushed the toilet, and came back to bed. I truly thought he was walking in his sleep. It took only one word to explain. Tick. Left me wondering where the thing had been for the past several hours, and if he was a loner! A little hard to get back to sleep! Today I was minding my own business, sitting at my sewing machine, and felt a little tickle on my neck. Yup. Tick.

Luckily, we have not had any attached ticks yet, and no deer ticks spotted. This area of the country, along with New England, claim the most cases of Lyme's disease. And now it's not just Lyme's but a few other diseases to worry about, too. We need a natural predator to wipe out the ticks, I'm not aware of any purpose they serve except to annoy people.

If you make it through the poison ivy and the ticks, you will find your self out back in the itchweed. At least the itchweed reaction is temporary and non-life threatening! Really, it's not all that hazardous here, because every now and then a tornado comes through and that takes care of the ticks, poison ivy and itchweed!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

those ticks are particularly bad this year... hubby gets them just walking to the car..

MissesStitches said...

So sorry to hear about this! Yuk!!!