Friday, August 5, 2011

button, button

Don't you just love a good button!? I can hear Bob saying "No"! He just doesn't get some of the same things I do, and vice versa, so we're even. I think I told you that one of my birthday presents was some little packs of buttons, so here they are--

I think those 3 at the top look like caramels, don't you? These all look perfect for some bags or embellishments, I might have to design some special things just to use the buttons!

And then the button theme went one step further with the gift of this unique little button bracelet--

This is from Prize Possessions, a frequent vendor at quilt shows among other things. The card with this bracelet states that these are waistcoat jewel buttons circa 1870--how special is that?! This prompted a discussion of what really is a waistcoat, and a little wiki research explained that it is another word for a vest. I have been studying these little gems and imagining the stories behind them. Where did the wearer live? Who stitched them? What adventures did they see? And who's the guy that wore pink buttons on his waistcoat?

3 comments:

MissesStitches said...

I'd say he was a very confident guy to wear pink buttons on his waistcoat!

Pam said...

I'm sure he was a man before his time!

Daniel said...

Awesome pics!