Wednesday, January 30, 2013

learning is fun

I was recently contacted by a representative of Fons and Porter Magazine about reviewing their online publication about log cabin quilts.  So that is what I have done!  I didn't just turn around and put this up and announce that you should all read it and use it.  No, I read it all very carefully, and decided it was a good recommendation.  Because even though it is FREE, it still has to be worthy of your time.  And yes, it is more than worthy of your time!

It is well written, beautifully illustrated, and in a very nice format that you can save with your documents for future reference.  It contains historical notes as well as contemporary ideas for using the classic log cabin block and a couple of variations.  I like the tables of information that are included, so you can have an easier time with cutting pieces to the right size.

I also wanted to test out a couple of the techniques that are included.  These are nice little bonuses that add to the value of this ebook.  One section covers binding application, and a good way to complete the connection between the first and last sections of the binding strip.  I have used my own system for making that 45-degree angle seam for a long time, and it works very well for me.  I thought I would try out their directions and see how it worked.  It has just a couple of variances from what I am used to doing, like leaving a little gap and a different way of marking.  I made a little sample piece and it worked slick!  It is on pages 23 and 24 of the booklet.

I also tried out the Binding with Piping instructions on page 22.  I got the basics to work right, but I only did a little bitty sample and I think it is going to take a little more practice for me to get it to line up correctly and neatly.  The directions and illustrations made it pretty easy to figure out what I needed to do.  I have never done piping in a binding before, and this might be just what I need to apply it to a whole project.

So, click here to get your own copy of this publication, and let me know what you think!  And thanks to Fons and Porter for another great learning tool.

No comments: