Tuesday, March 11, 2014

kitchen tools

I am preparing 2 big batches of traditional Chex Mix - well, mostly traditional!  I found a recipe on the Pioneer Woman's website for a variation that I decided I wanted to try.  I think that this cook, Ree Drummond, is a good source for down-to-earth recipes.  And she writes well, too!  Just read some of her descriptions of life on an Oklahoma ranch with her family, you will get a chuckle.  Reminds me of some of the things that happened way back when I was a kid on a farm.

Anyway, this Chex Mix recipe holds pretty true to the corporate version.  The biggest variation is Ree's substitution of real garlic for garlic powder.  But I don't always keep real garlic on hand, but use the minced garlic in a little jar on many occasions and I find that my everyday palate is not offended.  Not in the least!  So I set about to put the garlic into the mix, but thought it needed to be mushed up a bit more to spread out the garlicky goodness more evenly.  First I tried just mashing on those little garlic bits with a spoon in a cup, but got nowhere fast.  Then I resorted to my tool drawer--


Every self-respecting kitchen has a tool drawer, right?

And I worked out a better plan--


With the garlic bits in a sealed bag and my kitchen hammer, it works so much better!  I suppose a mortar and pestle would be a good addition to my repertoire, but in the meantime, I have my own way to make it work!  And now half of my chex mix is out of the oven--


And yes, I know that you can buy chex mix in a bag in the store, but I tasted that once and it is nowhere near the taste of good homemade chex mix.  This is going to provide sustenance to 50 quilting ladies on Friday to keep them happy until dinnertime!  I better get the second batch whipped together, I would hate to see what would happen if we ran out!

No comments: