Sunday, September 12, 2010

trip to colorado

Saturday AM I embarked on a trip with my parents to have a little vacation in Estes Park, CO. This is a place that they have visited often, particularly in September after tourist season. Yesterday I drove about 450 miles in Iowa and Nebraska (Go Big Red!) and today another 250 or so to end up at the Saddle and Surrey Motel which will be our lodging for the week. This is their favorite place to stay, the rooms are very comfortable, extremely clean, and include kitchenettes in some. It feels good to be in one spot for a bit.
On our last leg of the trip, from Loveland to Estes Park (about 25 miles of winding road) we warily watched billowing smoke not far from our road. Thankfully, the fire was over another ridge so did not cause any problems for us, but I am sure someone somewhere is thinking otherwise. I hope it is not near any towns or areas of population. The people we talked to in Loveland said it had only started this morning. It definitely is dry around here. Smokey Bear says the fire danger is Extreme!
We will be setting out for a walk this afternoon and connecting with my Aunt and Uncle who are also vacationing here right now. It is a beautiful sunny sky and 75 degrees. Yay! That is my favorite temperature!

2 comments:

ytsmom said...

GO HUSKERS! indeed. I got a great sunburn sitting and watching yesterday. Hope you have a great trip. We were there a couple of weeks ago, just before the fires started. Hope they get them under control. Please post more about your trip.

Daniel said...

That sounds so fun! I wish I could go.