Thursday, January 6, 2011

a spot of color

I was trying to take some pictures of the downy woodpeckers (3 of them) at the suet feeders this morning. They startled and flew away before I had a good shot, but as I was trying to compose the shot (as all professional photographers do!) I realized how gray it was outside. Well, shades of gray, white and black. Then I remembered that this scarf was drying on the table downstairs, and when I picked it up it was a day brightener!
This was something that I knitted to possibly be a gift but without a definite recipient. Well, I think that person is me! I don't think I have anything in my wardrobe, maybe not even in my house, that is this color. I thought maybe it was a little "out there", maybe something someone else would look great in, but not my typical personal choice. But sort of wishing that it would be my own and that it would bring me to become so very stylish with this lovely color sort of casually draped around my shoulders. I guess there's still a dreamer in all of us! This design comes from the Ravelry website and is designed by Martina Behm. It is called 22.5 Degree Scarf because, well, the 2 tail end angles are 22.5 degrees instead of the usual 45 degrees. I like that because it gives better length to wrap and tie. The yarn was bought on a whim from Thora Lee's Clearance Sale, 4 balls of Artyarns Superwash Merino wool. I probably paid as much for the 4 balls as one would normally cost, so I am liking that! It is maybe kind of a sport weight yarn and I used up 2 1/2 balls making this. I learned how to make that cute scalloped edge finish for this, I had never done anything like that before so that was a good learning experience. Other than that, the knitting was very smooth, all garter stitch (knit all rows) with increases on the ends of each row and in the center of every third row. It was suitable for car knitting and tv watching. I did make this before from a bulky yarn and I might like to make it again, it is that easy and rewarding. I like wearing it with the center point in front and the ends wrapped to the front just for something different. And because on these cold days it is really handy to do this...

4 comments:

Daniel said...

I love it!

MissesStitches said...

It's beautiful, Pam! Perfect to brighten up a gloomy day.

Pam said...

Thanks for your support!

mary said...

I think the color looks really GREAT on you...
I recognize the lovely pattern too!