Friday, May 8, 2009

We have leaves


It is bright and sunny out this morning, very refreshing 48 degrees as I sat on the back step eating my granola and OJ breakfast.  This is the week of bursting leaves and pretty soon I won't be able to see the neighboring houses.  Bob had the first wood tick so we are officially over winter!  I finally got out yesterday and trimmed off the dead blossoms and stems from the hydrangea bushes and dug around in the dirt for awhile.  In the background of the picture you can see the dirt patch that has been our garden for quite a few years.  Bob has decided to move it this year, so he is in the process of that.  Also got these socks done--

and since they were knit simultaneously I can be confident that they are they are matching.  In size, that is, not in stripes!  I think there might be some sock knitters who would have preferred to engineer a matching stripe pattern, but I'm not one of them!  It's not so hard to do because the stripe pattern repeats itself, so you just have to pull yarn from one skein to get to the matching point of the other skein.  But honestly, who cares?!  I think if I am wearing lime green/red/blue striped socks, the issue of matching stripe rows is low priority!  BTW, these are knit from Paton's Kroy Socks and are a wool blend, so won't get much summertime wear!  It's a yarn that is fairly inexpensive and accessible to me, so now that I know this pattern and technique work I will be able to cast on with confidence using the Noro Silk Garden Sock yarn that is a little more special.  Part of its specialness is the fact that I purchased it on vacation at Sierra Cottons and Wools in June Lake, CA.  Some people might collect tshirts for souvenirs, I collect yarn and fabric!
Gotta' leave in a minute to get some patterns printed to restock at Bear Patch, and get to work and hopefully have an interesting day there since the governor will be in White Bear Lake today and tomorrow for the fishing opener.  If you are not familiar with this event, you have to know that the opening day of the fishing season is a big deal, and yes, it's always on Mother's Day weekend!  Each year the governor (and entourage) pick a lake and then the hoopla begins.  There is a full schedule of events taking place with food, music, speeches, raffles, and of course, a little fishing!  Bear Patch is a block or 2 away from the festivities and about 3 blocks away from the lake, so depending on the turnout, I better be early to get a parking space.

No comments: