Monday, February 28, 2011

the cowboys ride again!

I was oh-so-relieved last night when my cowboys pulled themselves together and made up some ground on The Amazing Race. They avoided elimination, so I won't have to boycott the show!

I am sharing a couple of good reference sites with you today. Things I find as I read blogs, etc.

First, for anyone who ever wants to make purses and totes, there is a wealth of information on the U-Handbag. The newest helpful post demystifies interfacings. The site is written by Lisa from England, and she has recently authored The Bag Making Bible, a book I probably need to add to my collection. She also sells many of the products needed to make professionally finished bags. Bags that will make you the envy of all your friends! Bags that are almost as nice as my Kristina Koffee Bean Bag!

Next, a good site to try out if you are figuring out your own quilt designs or trying to modify one you already have. This quilt calculator site will help you with computing how much fabric is required for making multiples of several basic shapes. Also calculates yardage needed for backing a quilt of your dimensions, with explanation of how to sew the backing. I have always been familiar with making these calculations for myself, but after working in a quilt shop I am aware that most people would rather have someone else do that for them. If that includes you, I highly recommend that you try this site, at least for backing yardage, so you are comfortable with what you are purchasing. Then you won't have to rely on someone who might be a complete stranger to run through those numbers for you. I guess it is just a part of my nature to be self-sufficient as much as possible, and that leaves no one to blame but myself if there is an error!

And a quilting finish last night, my first collaboration with my own sister, Jan.

This is her own design and her idea to use complementary thread colors on the color blocks, which turned out well even though it is not so visible in these pictures. I used some geometric designs in the color blocks and then white thread in echoed arcs throughout the white area. I like the result, and it was fun to work on something that she made. Now to get it back to her in CA! I think she should come pick it up so we can have a little visit!

2 comments:

MissesStitches said...

My (our) quilt looks awesome, Pam! Can't wait to get my hands on it. I still have quite a bit of work to do, with sleeve and binding yet to complete. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Pam said...

Jan, it is on its way back to you, I am passing the baton!