Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunny Day





I felt motivated to take the camera outside with me to see if I could find any evidence of spring. A few bits of new growth, and the grass is starting to green up, and the dandelions and weeds are already nice and green. Why is that?




I have been cooped up inside for most of the day, Bob was gone at work and I was on my machine. I am working on a flag quilt for Nancy, making good progress. But I realized that maybe you aren't familiar with a longarm machine (why would you be if you aren't a quilter?) so here are some additional pictures just to show what the contraption looks like. The quilt layers are each rolled onto the long rollers (the table is 14') and held taut by a sprocket system while I steer the machine and stitch across the fabric layers. The machine rests on rollers and channels that allow 360 degree maneuverablity. As the exposed area is stitched, I stop and advance the rollers until the whole thing is quilted. And that's all there is to it!